ONCAMPUS Assignment Brief economics
Choose a country to research
• This country should not be your home country. Ask your teacher to approve the country of your choice in order to avoid overlap between different students.
• Get into the habit of following the economic news about the economy you are researching using different news sources.
• You are advised to show trends in macro performance over the last decade. Use data, tables and graphs, and/or create your own graphs and tables to present the research.
Use the following details to help structure your essay.
Task 1 - GDP and economic growth (20 marks)
• Research and comment on the GDP / GDP per capita of the chosen economy
• Explain the main reasons for the economic growth/decline over the last decade
• Describe the business/economic cycle in the context of the chosen economy
Task 2 - Unemployment (20 marks)
• Research and comment on the levels of unemployment in the economy researched
• Analyse how the Government can effectively reduce unemployment in the economy (either analyse the current policies used and/or make suggestions of policies that may be used)
Task 3 - Inflation and balance of payments (20 marks)
• Research and comment on the inflation levels and balance of payments of the economy
• Explain the impacts of inflation and the balance of payments the economic agents
Task 4 - Economic Policy (20 marks)
• Discuss the use/effectiveness of economic policy (demand or supply side policy) to impact the economic cycle (either analyse the current policies used and/or make suggestions of policies than may be used)
Task 5 - Presentation and Referencing (20 marks)
• Check your work for spelling and grammar
• Present you work in an acceptable format
• Use Harvard referencing
Extra Details about your assignment:
• You will need to provide a bibliography of at least 6 references in your essay. You will need to use Harvard referencing.
• Your report needs to show:
o Proof that you have researched and analysed information.
o Critical thinking and analysis.
o Economic theory.
o A high quality of written English and a logical flow to your essay.
Extra Guidance for your Research:
You may use the following databases to find data:
• Trading Economics
• World Bank DataBank
• United Nations Database
• International Labour Organisation (ILO) Statistics and Database
• Other sources advised by your tutor
You must not reference any user-generated sources of information such as Wikipedia or forums. You
could read these to get a general overview for your own understanding, but they should not be used in your references as they are not always reliable sources of information. If you are unsure of what is expected of you, please speak to your tutor.
Find an attached file for further instructions.